I did it!!!


Towards the end of summer, I realized I had a problem and I needed to deal with it. I was a pound or two near 300... Not a good sign of health! I had to admit that I was overweight and deal with it and do something about it. I started going to the YMCA daily for about a month and lost 15 pounds in about 2 weeks. I thought this was going to be easy.

I joined a class at the YMCA called Biggest Loser Bootcamp. I knew all my problems would be over by joining this class. I figured that with my current weight loss, I would lose another 20 to 25 pounds during the 6 week session.

Not the case!!! I lost one pound in 6 weeks. But more importantly I lost 2 inches, and the ability to finish my workouts, and I lost the fear of going into the free weight room. Last night for the first time in 10-15 years I actually ran one mile and finished. (I know for some of you that is no big deal) I finished something I never thought I could do. I, John McHaffie, ran one mile without stopping. It is amazing what you can do if you discipline yourself - mind, body and spirit.

Today, If you have the wrong attitude and say "there is no way I can finish" I believe if you dig deep you will find the strength to finish what you started.

Go for it!!! Run the race - Don't worry about winning, just finish strong!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey John,

I am right with you. We joined the WAC last Easter and I lost about 6 lbs quickly. That was it. Then I started running for about 3 minutes at a time. I thought I was going to die. Now I can run (with a few 3 minute intervals of walking) 4 miles in 46 minutes. Keep it up. I've lost a few more lbs but it is the accomplishment of running that keeps me going. Well at least it will if I can get back to the gym.....

Meribeth

Anonymous said...

Anything you clould do to get over your plateau would be greatly appreciated. I need pants!

Scott